“What is Big Data/AI Competiton?”
There is a high expectation that new AI technologies will be applied to big data, which exists everywhere, to make it useful in our lives.
Therefore, the committee decided to take up the problem of big data processing, which is particularly challenging and worthy of challenge, and commercialize it by asking excellent researchers and engineers from all over the world to solve it in the form of a competition, based in Sapporo.
As the first theme of the series of “Big Data/AI Competition,” we have chosen the task to estimate product names from the product images.
2.Flow of the competition
Apply for the competition via our web site at https://ai-competition.biz/en/join/
Applicants will be provided with small data set. [20 products x 100 images] x 1 category & [5 products x 100 images] x 3 categories]
Challenge theme will be given on Aug 5, Wed. Submit the answers to the challenge, and attached “Technical Proposal” with the reference to the small data set by Aug 17, Mon.
The second challenge theme will be given on Aug 19, Wed. The deadline of the technical answers is Aug 31, Mon.
[20 products x 100 images] x 4 categories; 8,000 images
We will review technical proposal and the technical answers for the two challenges, and announce the awardees for Stage 1.
Judging criteria: ideas and algorithmic evaluation
Prize: 1st place – 50,000JPY, 2nd place – 30,000JPY
Note: The prize money is supposed to be used for the server costs for the larger data calculation at the next stage, but the usage of the prize is not necessarily limited to that purpose.
At the second stage, emphasis is placed on performance evaluation with the larger data sets. Challenge theme will be given on Sep 16, Wed. The deadline of the technical answers is Sep 28, Mon.
[125 products x 100 images] x 4 categories; 50,000 images
Challenge theme will be given on Sep 30, Wed. The deadline of the technical answers is Oct 16, Fri.
[25 products x 100 images] x 4 categories; 100,000 images
We will order the 1st place winner to implement the development into the real system.(However, if the recognition rate does not reach the specified level, there may be no applicable person.)
- The development goal is to run the developed solution (search engine) in a real environment. Specifically, the solution implements an API that is called by the search engine and runs on the target server, enabling it to handle the amount of data required by the real system. You will be asked to review the results of measurement of the accuracy and speed of operation to identify issues.
- The details of the order and its amount will be determined through discussions with the sponsoring company.
- If there is a legitimate reason not to undertake the development, we will transfer the technologies to the sponsoring company, and then, ask the sponsoring company to cooperate with other firms for further development.
(Payment of the prize shall transfer the right to use the program.)
AI researches, AI engineers (students, individuals, organizations, amd corporations are also welcome)
4.Judging and Prize
|High accuracy, highly practical technical configuration|| 1st place: 50,000JPY|
2nd place: 30,000JPY
performance evaluation with the large data sets
|aking practicality into account, accuracy: score 7, execution speed: score 2, updatability: score 1. The |
execution speed and updatability will be judged by the experts based on the submitted technical proposal.
| 1st place: 1,000,000JPY|
2nd place: 500,000JPY
The judges are:
- Dr. Hideyuki Nakashima: President of Sapporo City University
- Prof. Hidenori Kawamura: Hokkaido University
- Hiroyuki Itoh: CEO of Crypton Future Media, Inc.
- One judge from sponsoring company
|How and Where to apply||Date (JPT)|
|Application||Apply via https://ai-competition.biz/en/join/||By July 31, Fri.|
|Stage 1.1||Fill out the attached “Technical Proposal” and submit it within 4 pages of A4-size(vertical). You may use pictures or diagrams.|
Submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org
First small data set is provided to all applicants. Execute the image identification test and upload the result.
Evaluation results and overall ranking will be announced on Aug 18, Tue.
|By Aug 17, Mon|
|Stage 1.2||Second small data set is provided to all applicants. Execute the image identification test and upload the result.|
Evaluation results and overall ranking will be announced on Sep 1, Tue.
|By Aug 31, Mon.|
|Judging and Prize for Stage 1||Criteria: Ideas and algorithmic evaluation||Mid September|
|Stage 2.1||Third data set(large) is provided to applicants on Sep 16, Wed. Execute the image identification test and upload the result.|
Evaluation results and overall ranking will be announced on Sep 29, Tue.
|By Sep 28, Mon.|
|Stage 2.2||Forth data set(large) is provided to applicants on Sep 30, Wed. Execute the image identification test and upload the result.||By Oct 16, Fri.|
|Final Judging||Criteria: performance evaluation with the larger data sets.||Mid October|
6. Rights and Obligations
- Participants acknowledge that the sponsoring company may use any technical ideas they write on the technical proposal form or otherwise. In the event that changes the technologies or resubmission of proposal materials are made during Stage 2, the sponsoring company will be deemed to have the right to use the altered materials as well.
- The winner of Stage 2 will grant the non-exclusive right to use the execution program used in the entry, the setpoint values and all other technology necessary to reproduce the function, free of charge, to the sponsoring company. The winner is free to use the developed technology, but it is prohibited to use the learned data for any purpose other than this competition or to disclose it to others.